Another RL related post, a pic I took at work (big pic)

All general chat regarding WoW
Armann
Commander
Commander

Another RL related post, a pic I took at work (big pic)

Post by Armann » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 am

So, many of you know that I work at a nuclear power plant. What I do there is mostly failure analysis on damaged components. I will not go into details about that boring stuff :wink: But I do want to show you a random "photo" I took using an SEM (scanning electron microscope). For those of you that doesn't know what that type of instrument is, the short version is that it is a microscope that uses a beam of electrons instead of a beam of light for magnification and as electrons have a much shorter wavelength the magnification obtainable is that much higher. (if that made sense to anyone :wink: )

I'm just getting into learning to use the instrument at lower acceleration voltage making it possible to take photos of non metal samples (metals are usually preferred if you don't coat the samples using a electric conductive material). What I took a picture of here is some sort of "particle" on a polymer membrane used for water filtration. I have no idea what it is really but I think it looks great :) I added the picture with a scale so you can get a grasp on how increadible small this thing really is (micron level).

Nature really is beautiful and almost scary on a high magnification point of view :)

Enjoy!

Edit: hmm, it doesn't show up..? Is the picture too big perhaps? That was kinda the idea, to show an increadible huge picture of something really small :wink: Any computer genius that can help me here?

Edit 2: lets see if this works then :)

link: My photostream

Edit 3: Yay, it did :D But it looks like you can't really see the picture in full resolution (if there isn't some way to zoom in more) the original size rather huge :)
Attachments
6288081445_9824ccd64e_b.jpg
6288081445_9824ccd64e_b.jpg (368.2 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

Nerth
Guild Veteran
Guild Veteran

Re: Another RL related post, a pic I took at work (big pic)

Post by Nerth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 am

Upload it to Flickr or Picasa and link to it.

*Puts on his sarcasm hat and robe*

It is very soothing to know that people working with a potential A-Bomb are computer-savvy.
-----------+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++
Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.

Armann
Commander
Commander

Post by Armann » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am

Thank you Nerth!

And yes, isn't it beautiful that I have the knowledge to create an A-bomb without being good at computers!? If I just have the right materials for it I don't need a computer at all :wink: But don't worry, we're not working on A-bombs at all at work, it would be kinda bad PR for us :mrgreen:

Nerth
Guild Veteran
Guild Veteran

Post by Nerth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:15 am

Hehe, you might not be building one but you don't have to. You operate one, with computers!!!!! Oh the humanity! But joking aside, this was my dream job, not for the power in your hands but for all the time off you get from potential radiation exposure.

Now, upload that picture so we can see it and admire mother nature.

Armann
Commander
Commander

Post by Armann » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:22 am

Joking or not I do understand that I can make ppl uneasy tbh :wink: So it's probably good that I'm faaaaar away form the buttons and computers that actually run the reactor :) I just sit at my desk writing reports or working in the lab looking at miniature cracks in metal or similar:) This project was a bit different for me looking at something biological for a change so I really liked it. Got me thinking that I rather do tis in the future than look at more boooring metal all the time...

Picture is uploaded and edited in the original post now :)

Nerth
Guild Veteran
Guild Veteran

Post by Nerth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 am

Edit 3: yay, it did But it looks like you can't really see the picture in full resolution (if there isn't some way to zoom in more) the original size rather huge
Yeah, it's called paid subscription to Flickr, 25$ a year :)

You can also upload it to Dropbox give us a link and we'll download the original.

Obok
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Obok » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 am

I haz st0len ur pic!

(On a more serious note, I think picture files with a .tif extension probably don't get recognized properly by the forum software. I've attached it in jpeg format to your post now, seems that works better.)

Nerth
Guild Veteran
Guild Veteran

Post by Nerth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 am

Armann wrote:Joking or not I do understand that I can make ppl uneasy tbh :wink:)
Blame your lava fetish? :)

Armann
Commander
Commander

Post by Armann » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 am

Once again ty both for the computer stuff :) (yes, I really am a computer noob :wink: )

Not much comments about the pic itself though.. Maybe I shouldn't take for granted that everyone reads the scale easily, just to make it more clear the scale in the lower left corner of the pic is 1/1000 of a millimeter or 0.000039 inches! (if that makes it anymore interesting :wink: )

But I thought I'd add something easier to relate to too. So, here's a series of pics I have of an ant. One overview and then closing in on one of the eyes.

I love this intrument, to see things with this resolution and magnification is incredible imo :)

link to ant: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69359867@N ... 301226365/

Samiira
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Samiira » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm

The pics are amazing and i agree with you about using instruments like the SEM. But I have a question or two (or three)...

I thought you worked in a nuclear power plant?
If so, why are you taking photos of ants?
I know what ants are like, they can find their way into buildings and set up home in the strangest of places.... should i be worried about a new radioactive mutant species of ant?!

Eeeeeek!!!!

:P
Well behaved women rarely make history... and i am rarely well behaved!

Armann
Commander
Commander

Post by Armann » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Haha, no radioactive ants on their way :) Just that we took a lot of different pictures on various stuff when learning how to operate the intrument. And biological/non conductive materials are really good to practice on as you have to tweak the settings for it to work or you just get an electrical charge buildup that mess up the image. One way to handle it is to coat the sample with a thin layer or gold or coal but if you can use it without coating you never have to rely on it either. So, the ant was just practice, nothing I do all day long :) Now it's mostly cracks in metal and so on.

Samiira
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Samiira » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 am

I can't help being slightly disappointed in a way.... but at least now i have an idea for a sci-fi novel.... Thanks!!!

:)
Well behaved women rarely make history... and i am rarely well behaved!