my RL hobby

All general chat regarding WoW
Armann
Commander
Commander

my RL hobby

Post by Armann » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:31 pm

So, I got into a discussion about my RL hobby with Gupp & Gnairk last week, that is, bonsai :)

I only have a few that I value as "done" or close to it to show but here is one of them that I've had for roughly 10 years now and have grown all by myself from a sapling. Will be interesting to see if anyone likes it :)
Attachments
ficusnatasha.jpg
ficusnatasha.jpg (208.7 KiB) Viewed 2263 times

Gupp
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: my RL hobby

Post by Gupp » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Very very cool. Definatly a lot of work put into that.

But we discussed you painting some WoW miniatures...where are they... :mrgreen:
Q u o t e:
"So, whats the kill order tankadin?"

"This room, the next, the hallway and then the boss." *throws shield*

Ardant
Guild Veteran
Guild Veteran

Post by Ardant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:39 am

That is a VERY beautiful bonsai and the fact that you've grown it from scratch is a testament to your skill and patience. Is the style Tachiki? I used to be into bonsai a lot of years ago but never managed to be patient enough :P The shape is very well proportioned and the branches are harmoniously spaced along the trunk. Bravo!!

Now let us see moar plz!

ScoobyT
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Post by ScoobyT » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:49 am

Nice! Always wanted one but wouldnt know where to start or what to do with it :?

Del Boy: Are you saying I'm stupid?
Rodney: Either that or it's the Chinese year of the dodo.

Armann
Commander
Commander

Post by Armann » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 am

ty all, makes me happy :) I encourage you all to start this hobby! It's not that hard.. you only have to kill about 15-20 plants before you know what you're doing :wink: And you have have your first masterpiece in about 10-15 years, not that long eh? :mrgreen:

Some answers to questions I got in game if more ppl wonder the same things:

The metal wire isn't beautiful but needed. Not to strangulate the tree but to fixate it in the pot as it recently was repotted. New roots are very fragile and this helps the tree to establish itself in the new soil faster.

It is roughly 25-30 cm in height (you always messure from the rim of the pot and to the top).

I haven't named the ree Natasha, it's the latin name for the species :wink:

Also, the tree is usually much more dense with way more leaves on it. I cut of all leaves during he summer to force backbudding and create better ramification. Each little twig is controled be me here :D I'll add a new picture in the future when it's more lush

Gupp: I can't remember anything about WoW miniatures.. was I drunk..? :roll: Please enlighten me

Ardant: You obvously know a bit about bonsai, nice :) The style would be Sekijoju (root over rock) I guess but I've actually stoped thinking in the classic styles nowadays. I go more for the "natural approach" inspired by the impressive work of for example Walter Pall. (take a look at http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/ he is an increadible artist!) I'll try to take a photo of a Juniper I have too but I need to find a good background for it or the picture will be horrible.. working on it :) After that there is only work in progress growing in different pots and in the ground at my parents. I have lots more trees that would've been representable by now if it weren't for me leaving them in my mothers care a few years back when I studied abroad.. She didn't really understand my instructions so about 80% of my collection died at that point :(