Gaming laptops

All general chat regarding WoW

Return to Public General Chat

Re: Gaming laptops

Postby Hurrikane » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:35 pm

But do they come in pink? ;P And hello Stekk!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Hurrikane
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Postby Kravitz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Rheon wrote:i5 vs i7 when not streaming mutiple HD inputs is not noticeable by humans though benches higher. Outside of video streaming and video editing with proffesional software an i5 will be real world better for gaming, and bench better with games. Any bottleneck would not be at a 4-core CPU in 99% of cases so it's pretty much academic.

WoW will not use the extra cores on an i7 (and it'd only have them if it was the i7 "extreme" ) otherwise it's 4 core anyway like the i5 but the i7 gets multithreading (the added value of a non-extreme i7). The HP machine you specced is 4-core with threading.

I don't believe that WoW, if WoW is a primary/only concern and you're not just talking about generic higher-end gaming even supports multi-threading.

Console ports don't use more that 2 cores. Specifically designed PC games mostly aren't well tuned for multi-threading and many reports indicate they run faster once this is disabled.

Once you've hit 4 cores choose clock speed over number of cores when looking at gaming performance. Once at this stage any noticable increase would likely come from GPU investment not CPU investment.

I will crank the budget up if there's large value increase in the next more expensive option(bang for buck). i7 Vs i5 value for gamers imho simply doesn't exist, divert the cash to GPU or simply don't spend it ...there's..... just .....no .....value.

There's reams and reams of arguments of this type of stuff with AMD Vs Intel and Nvidia Vs ATI fan boys stating their cases. I can only advise from real world experience use i5 + Nvidia even if they're slightly more expensive.

ATI's hardware might spec higher but it's no use with poor drivers. I've yet to be convinced ATI has sorted their driver support, longevity, or usablity out.

In summary:

Look for value.. which is not the same as cheap, cheaper or budget. It' s a significant investment so warranty does matter.
Do your research, or if you can't, find a trusted source that is not on commision by any vendor.

"Throws cat amongst pidgeons"

So you wouldn't take the i7 then ???

Just joking! Lol

Thanks all for taking the time to tap out the advice. I'll get that all ordered up. It's says 10-12 days to build and deliver. So I guess I'll see you all in game soon after that.
Kravitz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Kravitz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:37 pm

Hurrikane wrote:But do they come in pink? ;P And hello Stekk!

Hey Clare, that's the sort of question Lisa/starzz would ask. I've just brought her a bright purple laptop for her birthday. So I guess you'll be seeing her in game soon as well .
Kravitz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Kravitz » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 am

Do your research, or if you can't, *find a trusted source that is not on commision by any vendor.*

I already done that , that's why I'm here talking to you!!! Lol
Kravitz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Forman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 am

I#d avoid buying a laptop for gaming. They're not very reliable.
Forman
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Public General Chat